Replacing overloaded functions with closures.

king kikapu aboudouvas at panafonet.gr
Mon Jul 30 10:58:56 EDT 2007

Hi,

i am trying, to no avail yet, to take a C#'s overloaded functions
skeleton and rewrite it in Python by using closures.
I read somewhere on the net (http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-
not-java.html) that in Python we can reduce code duplication for
overloaded functions by using closures.

I do not quite understand this. Let's say we have the following simple
C# code:

int func(int i) { return i * 2; }
string func(string s) { return s + s; }
bool func(bool f) { return !f; }

I wasn't able to find a way to express this thing in closures. I even
tried to have the parameters i, s and f as parameters with default
arguments with None value in the inner function and there to check for
the None and do the needed work but i am not sure if this is the
correct solution.

Any help ?

thanks in advance.