Why PHP is so much more popular for web-development

walterbyrd walterbyrd at iname.com
Wed Jul 25 18:31:45 EDT 2007

On Jul 25, 3:55 pm, Steve Holden <st... at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Jeff McNeil wrote:

> > Unfortunately, I also find that PHP programmers are usually more
> > plentiful than their Python counterparts.  When thinking of staffing
> > an organization, it's common to target a skill set that's cheaper to
> > employ and easier to replace down the road if need be.
>
> Right, that's why hospitals are replacing their surgeons with butchers.
> There are so many more of them available. It's only cutting meat, after all.

Hospitals probably would if they could. Healthcare is extremely
regulated. Software development, web or otherwise, is still the wild-
west. Besides, I don't think it's quite fair to characterize all PHP
developers as "butchers" and Python developers as "surgeons." Python
may be superior to PHP, but come on now. Besides, I see about 100X
more ads for PHP programmers, than Python programmers. My guess is
that there probably are a lot more PHP developers, especially web-
developers.

> > Also, larger hosting shops are hesitant to run things such as TG and
> > Rails that require an additional server process.  The name of the game
> > is density.  Sure, it may be easy to manage and run a TG project, but
> > it's a pain to set one up on a shared hosting server.
>
> Virtualization will solve that problem.

I can get PHP hosting for $10/year. Will I be able to get a virtual
host for that?