Can a low-level programmer learn OOP?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sat Jul 14 23:43:38 EDT 2007

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> writes:

> 	Though I should have added that, in Python, the toolset tends to
> be... just an editor...

Much more than that. The common toolset I see used is:

  * A customisable, flexible, programmer's text editor
  * The online documentation in a web browser
  * A Python interactive shell
  * An automated build tool like 'make'
  * A programmable shell for ad-hoc tasks
  * A multi-session terminal program to run all these simultaneously

What I *don't* see is some single all-in-one tool specific to
programming a particular language. Having learned one good instance of
each of the above, it seems silly to need to learn all of them again
simply because one has started using Python as the programming
language.

--
 \             "Room service? Send up a larger room."  -- Groucho Marx |
Ben Finney