Can a low-level programmer learn OOP?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jul 13 20:37:04 EDT 2007

Aahz wrote:
> In article <f787ul0npv at news4.newsguy.com>,
> Chris Carlen  <crcarleRemoveThis at BOGUSsandia.gov> wrote:
>>From what I've read of OOP, I don't get it.
>
> For that matter, even using OOP a bit with C++ and Perl, I didn't get it
> until I learned Python.
>
>> The problem for me is that I've programmed extensively in C and .asm on
>> PC DOS way back in 1988.
>
> Newbie.  ;-)
>
> (I started with BASIC in 1976.)

Newbie ;-)

(I started with Algol 60 in 1967).

>> Form 2:  Use Python and PySerial and TkInter or wxWidgets.
>>
>> Pro:  Cross-platform goal will likely be achieved fully.  Have a
>> programmer nearby with extensive experience who can help.
>> Con:  Must learn new language and library.  Must possibly learn a
>> completely new way of thinking (OOP) not just a new language syntax.
>> This might be difficult.
>
> My experience is that learning GUI programming is difficult.  Moreover,
> GUI programming in C involves a lot of boilerplate that can be automated
> more easily with Python.  So I think this will be a better solution.

I used to write in C for the SunView platform (back in the days when the
GUI was integrated into the kernel as the only way to get acceptable
speed on the display). From what I remember, "Hello World" took about 40
lines.

The immense (relatively speaking: this was 1985) size of the libraries
required was one of the primary justifications for implementing shared
libraries.

> Note very very carefully that Python does not require an OOP style of
> programming, but it will almost certainly be the case that you just
> naturally start using OOP techniques as you learn Python.

That's very true. I still use a lot of (perhaps too much) procedural
coding, but driving the object-oriented libraries is a great way for a
noob to get started in OOP.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119