Where do they tech Python officialy ?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Tue Jul 24 04:22:16 EDT 2007

NicolasG a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I want to be a professional python programmer,

While there are (more and more) professional programmers using Python,
either as their main language or not, there's no such thing as a
"professional Python programmer", because being a proofessional
programmer requires much more than knowing one programming language.

> unfortunately I'm
> working on technical support and don't have the time/patience to start
> making projects my self. I tried to apply to some Python positions but
> unfortunately sometimes to work as a programmer is really hard in this
> world, every employee requires professional experience

You surely won't get any position as a programmer if you don't have any
experience as a programmer. But it doesn't necessarily has to be
"professional" experience - being a contributor to a serious OSS project
is nowadays considered as valid experience by some shops.

> and you can't
> really start as a beginner..

Yes you can - obviously, everyone has to start somewhere !-) But being a
beginner doesn't mean having strictly no experience - just that you
didn't get paid so far.

> I'm planning to save some money and attend a course in any of the
> universities that teach hard core Python.
>
> Does some one have any suggestions on which University to attend ?
> Alternatives solutions are welcome..

Don't focus on Python. The important part is to learn programming - once
you'll be there, learning Python by yourself won't be a problem. And I
second Paul Rubin's advice: avoid universities teaching Java as the main
language.