How to Machine A python script execute Machine B python script?

vasudevram vasudevram at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 13:55:45 EDT 2007

On Jul 9, 1:30 pm, Nick Craig-Wood <n... at craig-wood.com> wrote:
> half.ital... at gmail.com <half.ital... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  On Jul 8, 6:45 pm, johnny <rampet... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Anyone know how I can make Machine A python script execute a python
> > > script on Machine B ?
>
> >  xmlrpc will work.
>
> Or pyro
>
> http://pyro.sourceforge.net/
>
> Pyro is short for PYthon Remote Objects. It is an advanced and
> powerful Distributed Object Technology system written entirely in
> Python, that is designed to be very easy to use. Never worry about
> writing network communication code again, when using Pyro you just
> write your Python objects like you would normally. With only a few
> lines of extra code, Pyro takes care of the network communication
> between your objects once you split them over different machines on
> the network. All the gory socket programming details are taken care
> of, you just call a method on a remote object as if it were a local
> object!
>
> --
> Nick Craig-Wood <n... at craig-wood.com> --http://www.craig-wood.com/nick

>>  xmlrpc will work.
Right. Pretty easy to use. Go to the xml-rpc.com site to read about
it. Python has it included in the standard library, so you don't need
to get anything extra to use XML-RPC. And it works as advertised, more
or less - I recently wrote some simple servers and clients using
Python and XML-RPC.

Or SOAP (Google for "Python SOAP"). But not sure if SOAP is actively
supported for Python nowadays.

Or ICE - see www.zeroc.com. Haven't tried it out yet, but appears
interesting.
But it seems ICE has more overhead to setup (your ICE code, I mean,
not to install the software itself) than XML-RPC or Pyro. (It looks
like a lighter version of CORBA - some of the key people who created
it are ex-CORBA experts). Could possibly give better performance or
have more features, though ...

Also, XML-RPC, SOAP, and ICE are all interoperable with different
languages - meaning your server and client can be in different
languages; at least, XML-RPC and SOAP have support in many languages,
while ICE has it for at least for C++, C#, Java, Python, Ruby, PHP,
and Visual Basic (some of these have only support for clients, when I
last checked).

Vasudev Ram
http://www.dancingbison.com
http://jugad.livejournal.com