Broken MUA interactions

Delaney, Timothy (Tim) tdelaney at avaya.com
Mon Jul 9 23:16:26 EDT 2007

Ben Finney wrote:

> If your MUA is not using the information, provided in every message
> from the mailing list, to do what you want, don't ask mailing list
> admmministrators to accomodate your broken MUA.

There would be nothing wrong with an MUA for example, having a "reply"
button where the user could choose if it defaulted to "reply to author",
"reply to all", "reply to all except me" or "reply to list" depending on
the presence of the right headers and number of recipients. I'd like
such an MUA - I'd default it to replying to list when applicable.

But such an MUA should also provide the option for doing any of those
for each individual message as well. They could also have "reply to only
people in the To: header", "reply to only people in the CC: header", etc
if they wanted.

I have a company-mandated use of Outlook, which does *not* give me the
above options (it only has "reply" and "reply to all"). And I still
prefer mailing lists to do the right thing.

Tim Delaney