how to implementation latent semantic indexing in python..

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 01:07:34 EDT 2007

malkarouri wrote:
> IIRC, there was some explanation of Latent Semantic Analysis (with
> Python code) in an IEEE ReadyNotes document called "Introduction to
> Python for Artificial Intelligence". It wasn't free I am afraid.
>
> Of course you are aware that LSA is patented..

So don't do LSA. Do a singular value decomposition of a term by document
matrix. ;-) Or better yet, try something else, like Independent
Component Analysis (ICA) which many people find to work better.

I'm always hoping to see a paper that shows that LSA works better than a
simple cosine measure, but somehow the vast majority of LSA papers never
do that basic comparison... ;-)

STeVe