CGI vs WSGI

Josiah Carlson josiah.carlson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 4 11:28:46 EDT 2007

tuom.larsen at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm wondering because the only variables I ever needed were PATH_INFO,
> REQUEST_METHOD, QUERY_STRING and maybe one more, all of which should
> be available from CGI, too.

CGI starts up a new process for every request, using stdin/stdout for
passing information.  I believe WSGI can do that, but I believe it can
also do in-process requests (think mod_python, only with a Python web
server), external process requests (think FastCGI or LRWP), etc.

I could certainly be mistaken, it's been a while since I looked into any
of it.

  - Josiah