Efficiently removing duplicate rows from a 2-dimensional Numeric array

Alex Mont t-alexm at windows.microsoft.com
Thu Jul 19 19:35:12 EDT 2007

I have a 2-dimensional Numeric array with the shape (2,N) and I want to
remove all duplicate rows from the array. For example if I start out
with:

[[1,2],

[1,3],

[1,2],

[2,3]]

I want to end up with

[[1,2],

[1,3],

[2,3]].

(Order of the rows doesn't matter, although order of the two elements in
each row does.)

The problem is that I can't find any way of doing this that is efficient
with large data sets (in the data set I am using, N > 1000000)

The normal method of removing duplicates by putting the elements into a
dictionary and then reading off the keys doesn't work directly because
the keys - rows of Python arrays - aren't hashable.

The best I have been able to do so far is:

def remove_duplicates(x):

                d = {}

                for (a,b) in x:

                                d[(a,b)] = (a,b)

                return array(x.values())

According to the profiler the loop takes about 7 seconds and the call to
array() 10 seconds with N=1,700,000.

Is there a faster way to do this using Numeric?

-Alex Mont