Portable general timestamp format, not 2038-limited

Martin Gregorie martin at see.sig.for.address
Sun Jul 1 18:36:00 EDT 2007

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 17:47:36 +0100, Martin Gregorie
> <martin at see.sig.for.address> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
>> GPS time is UTC time and I'd assume the same is true for Loran.
>
> not according to this site that has clocks running on all three.
> They are out slightly.
>
> http://www.leapsecond.com/java/gpsclock.htm

A useful reference: thanks. Interesting that GPS and Loran are slightly
out from Zulu. I'll ask round and see if this is something that ATP
pilots are aware of: as a glider pilot and GPS user I'd never heard of
it. So far the deviations from UTC are probably not enough to affect
navigation significantly, but I wonder if banks using networks that
timestamp transactions with GPS time know about it. Of course the
deviation can't affect disputes where the timestamps are being used to
decide event sequences within a single network. However, there could be
legal implications if absolute time is important or if the timestamps
are being compared across different networks, e.g SWIFT vs CHAPS or Fedwire.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK