Best method for inter process communications

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Mon Jul 16 15:24:55 EDT 2007

Steve Holden wrote:
> JamesHoward wrote:
> Given the radically inefficient representations that XML typically
> requires, however, I think that worrying about localhost socket overhead
> is unnecessary: if your application was *that* critical you wouldn't be
> using XML in the first place.

     Agreed.  UNIX/Linux/Python interprocess communication is inefficient
compared to, say, QNX or Minix 3.  But where Python and XML are involved,
you've already lost 2-3 orders of magnitude in performance over something
like MsgSend in QNX, or even OpenRPC.  So don't worry about the socket
overhead.

				John Nagle