Can a low-level programmer learn OOP?

Wolfgang Strobl news2 at mystrobl.de
Sun Jul 22 10:20:09 EDT 2007

eddie at holyrood.ed.ac.uk (Eddie Corns):

>I don't believe you can get the benefit of SNOBOL matching without direct
>language support.

That's my opinion, too.

>There's only so much a library can do. However a valiant
>and interesting effort:
>
>http://www.wilmott.ca/python/patternmatching.html

This is newer than http://sourceforge.net/projects/snopy/ which adapts a
ADA implemenation, which follows the SNOBOL model quite closely. Didn't
knew that. Thanks for pointing it out!

Well, unfortunately, it somehow demonstrates your point. This may be
missing familiarity with the changed idiom, though. Perhaps rewriting a
few of James Gimple's snippets from "Algorithms in SNOBOL4"
(->http://www.snobol4.org/) as an exercise using that library might help
to get a better appreciation. Perhaps I'll try, eventually ...

--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen