Subprocess Poll() to sport Application Crash

Robert Rawlins - Think Blue robert.rawlins at thinkbluemedia.co.uk
Wed Jul 18 05:03:34 EDT 2007

Hello Guys,

I have an application which launches a sub-process using the sub
process/Popen module, which seems to work great. However on occasion the
launched process will crash, it doesn't appear to full terminate though as
when I run a 'top' command from the Linux system the process is still
displayed in the list, it just appears to be dormant and the TIME+ for the
application stops incrementing.

Can I use the poll() method from the sub-process object to test for this? I
would love to test it however the crash is so rare it's very difficult to
simulate, so thought I'd try and see if anyone has any experience of this.

Thanks chaps,

Rob