Re-raising exceptions with modified message

Christoph Zwerschke cito at online.de
Thu Jul 5 10:40:41 EDT 2007

Thomas Heller wrote:
> I have the impression that you do NOT want to change the exceptions,
> instead you want to print the traceback in a customized way.  But I may be wrong...

No, I really want to modify the exception, supplementing its message
with additional information about the state of the program.

The use case are compiled Kid templates (http://kid-templating.org). If
an error occurs, I want to add the corresponding line number of the XML
file as information for the template developer. Since the final error
handling may happen somewhere else (e.g. by TurboGears importing a Kid
template), I do not want to modify trackeback handling or something.

-- Chris