Getting values out of a CSV

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Jul 13 22:55:30 EDT 2007

En Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:05:29 -0300, Daniel <no at no.no> escribió:

>>> can

>>> Faster? No. List Comprehensions are faster.
>>
>> On my system just putting into a list is faster.  I think this is
>> because you don't need to assign each line to the variable 'line' each
>> time in the former case.
>
> I don't know why there seems to be a differece, but I know that list
> comps
> are python are very heavily optimised.

In principle both ways have to create and populate a list, and a list
comprehension surely is better than a loop using append() - but it still
has to create and bind the intermediate variable on each iteration.
I think that testing with a csv file can't show the difference between
both ways of creating the list because of the high overhead due to csv
processing.
Using another example, with no I/O involved (a generator for the first
10000 fibonacci numbers):

C:\TEMP>python -m timeit -s "import fibo" "list(fibo.fibo())"
10 loops, best of 3: 39.4 msec per loop

C:\TEMP>python -m timeit -s "import fibo" "[x for x in fibo.fibo()]"
10 loops, best of 3: 40.7 msec per loop

(Generating less values shows larger differences - anyway they're not
terrific)

So, as always, one should measure in each specific case if optimization is
worth the pain - and if csv files are involved I'd say the critical points
are elsewhere, not on how one creates the list of rows.

--
Gabriel Genellina