defaultdicts pickling

Yoav Goldberg yoav.goldberg at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 12:03:01 EDT 2007

Hello,

I need to have a dictionary of dictionaries of numbers, and I would like the
dictionaries to be defaultdicts, because it makes the code much nicer
(I want to be able to do:  d['foo']['bar']+=1 ).

So naturally, I used:

d = defaultdict(lambda :defaultdict(int))

It works great, but now I can not pickle it.

I could ofcourse used a real function and not a lambda, but this would make
things (a) somewhat slower and (b) a bit ugly.

Is there another way of achieving the same behaviour, that allow for
pickling?

Thanks,
Yoav