wxGlade: Who knows how to drive this application?

vasudevram vasudevram at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 12:20:44 EDT 2007

Steve Holden wrote:

> I've been trying to use wxGlade recently and I am finding it something
> of a challenge. Is there any user who finds the user interface
> satisfactory and the operation of the program predictable?

Good (for me) that you posted this question, as I got to know about
wxGlade (also the others mentioned like Dabo, which I'm gonna check
out) - I might not have heard of it otherwise :-)

Tried it out (wxGlade) yesterday after reading your post. Results:

I could get it to run, no problem.

Tried Alberto's tutorial that builds the GUI for a tabbed notebook
with a menu. Worked mostly fine.

One problem I had was that it is an SDI app (Single Document Interface
- Windows term) and, maybe due to that, the (preview of the) frame
you're designing sometimes gets hidden under the other windows (the
main wxGlade window, the Properties window, the GUI widgets tree,
etc.) so I sometimes had to fiddle around with the mouse to uncover
it. Or it could have been due to my monitor's resolution.

I have wxPython 2.6 installed on my (Windows) machine, so had to
change the default code generation from 2.8 to 2.6. After that I could
run the generated code. I used the option to generate each class in a
separate file. The generated code was quite readable - I could
understand it easily.

Having the tree of widgets shown in one window is a plus point - it
helps you to visualize the structure / nesting of the widgets in your
app.

Another slight problem was that, though I had sized the main frame to
occupy the whole  screen (while in design mode), when I ran the
generated code, the main frame was partially outside the screen.
Possibly this again was due to my monitor - getting
GUI apps to display correctly on differing target monitors is
challenging ...

That was all I've tried so far, but I think even that much is of some
help, at least - it should save some time with designing one's GUI. I
plan to try it out some more.

My 2 cents ...

Vasudev Ram
http://www.dancingbison.com