how to find available classes in a file ?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Jul 17 12:26:50 EDT 2007

En Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:05:17 -0300, Alex Popescu
<the.mindstorm.mailinglist at gmail.com> escribió:

> On Jul 17, 4:41 am, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
> wrote:
>> py-file.
>>
>> inspect.getmembers(the_module, inspect.isclass) would do. But this
>> requires the module to be importable.
>>

> I may be wrong but I think I've found a difference between my
> dir(module) approach
> and the inspect.getmembers(module, inspect.isclass): the first one
> returns the
> classes defined in the module, while the later also lists the imported
> available
> classes.

Let's try, using the standard module wave.py which imports class Chunk
 from chunk.py:

py> import inspect
py> import wave
py> inspect.getmembers(wave, inspect.isclass)
[('Chunk', <class chunk.Chunk at 0x00ADEC00>), ('Error', <class
'wave.Error'>), ...
py> dir(wave)
['Chunk', 'Error', 'WAVE_FORMAT_PCM', 'Wave_read', 'Wave_write', ...

Chunk appears on both. (That's not a surprise, since inspect.getmembers
uses dir() internally).
If you want to include *only* classes defined in the module itself, you
could test the __module__ attribute:

py> wave.Chunk.__module__
'chunk'
py> wave.Wave_read.__module__
'wave'

How to filter when the class is defined deeply inside a package is left as
an exercise to the reader :)

--
Gabriel Genellina