I am giving up perl because of assholes on clpm -- switching to Python

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Jul 26 12:24:18 EDT 2007

zentara wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:45:29 -0500, Martha_Jones at tx.net wrote:
>
>> Python is a better language, with php support, anyway, but I am fed up
>> with attitudes of comp.lang.perl.misc. Assholes in this newsgroup ruin
>> Perl experience for everyone. Instead of being helpful, snide remarks,
>> back-biting, scare tactings, and so on proliferate and self
>> reinforce. All honest people have left this sad newsgroup. Buy bye,
>> assholes, I am not going to miss you!!!
>>
>> Martha
>
> This is where the big boys play, you have to be able to be able to
> scuffle and take punishment if you are wrong or unduly ignorant.
> You also need to squash somehow who attacks you, when you
> know you are right.

That's about the feeblest excuse for bad manners I have ever heard :-)

Who decides how ignorant "unduly ignorant" is?

I think it's significant that you emphasize gender in your response. I
believe that this attitude, while not limited to male behavior, is much
more predominant therein. Sadly there are too few female members of
either c.l.py or c.l.p.m for it to make much difference.

> I was watching a CNBC yesterday, and they interviewed a leading
> solar panel company's CEO. One guy just blasted him for no reason
> other than he gets a government subsidy, and even the moderator felt
> bad for the way the executive was blasted. BUT...... they are the big
> boys, playing for real money, and if you play there, you have to expect
> to have your toughness tested..... it means real profit and loss.
>
> If you want a better place to ask beginner questions, or to be treated
> with more respect, try the perl-beginners maillist or
> http://perlmonks.org.  The monks are usually very polite.

So you are saying that disrespect is an appropriate way to behave on a
newsgroup? That sounds somewhat self-indulgent - you appear to be
absolving yourself on the responsibility to behave politely in (network)
company.

On c.l.py there are standards of behavior, and we encourage people to
observe them (while attempting to engage politely with those who don't).
I suppose, in fairness, I should admit that the tone of your post is
actually far more polite than that of the one you were responding to. I
shudder to think what Martha underwent to make her vent like that ...

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119