The best platform and editor for Python

Thu Jul 5 18:13:33 EDT 2007

On Jul 5, 5:46 pm, "sjdevn... at yahoo.com" <sjdevn... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Kay Schluehr wrote:
> > On Jul 3, 8:12 pm, cla... at lairds.us (Cameron Laird) wrote:
>
> > > Python is simply easier than C++; you might
> > > well find that a debugger, for example, doesn't feel as essential
> > > as it is for you with C++.
>
> > That's what I love most about the Python community. Whenever there is
> > just a non-standard, platform-dependent or crappy implementation of a
> > feature you get told that you don't need it.
>
> A fairly nice debugger is standard and built-in to the regular Python
> distribution on all platforms.
>
> But 95% of what a debugger is used for IME is getting a stack trace--
> in Python (or Java or Ruby or most modern languages) you get that
> automatically, and the debugger is nowhere near as useful as it is in
> C or C++.

I am a Python newbie, but unfortunately I don't agree with that. For
me having a debugger helped understand very quickly the flow
in the libraries for which otherwise I would have had to navigate
through code (which once again is not always easy without a good IDE).

But this is just a newbie opinion :-),

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.