Pickled objects over the network

Walker Lindley brotherjenos at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:12:24 EDT 2007

Thanks for all the help, I tried sending the length and then the string and
that appears to work, so I'll take a look at Pyro, too.

-Walker

On 7/18/07, Nick Craig-Wood <nick at craig-wood.com> wrote:

> Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
> >  On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:57:16 -0700, Walker Lindley <
> brotherjenos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >I'm working on a distributed computing program and need to send Python
> > >objects over a TCP socket.
> [snip]
> > >Hopefully I'm doing something obviously wrong, but if anyone can help
> based
> > >on that description or if you need to see the source, please let me
> know
> > >(it's GPL'd). Thank you so much for any help.
> >
> >  The obvious thing you're doing wrong is using pickle over a network. ;)
> >
> >    http://jcalderone.livejournal.com/15864.html
>
> I'd say the obvious thing being done wrong is re-inventing the wheel.
> Use pyro instead...
>
>   http://pyro.sourceforge.net/
>
> Pyro does use pickle to serialise objects by default.  It can use XML
> instead for an exploit free RPC at the cost of a bit of speed.
>
>   http://pyro.sourceforge.net/manual/9-security.html#pickle
>
> --
> Nick Craig-Wood <nick at craig-wood.com> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick
> --

This e-mail is licensed under the Creative Commons
Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.5/ or send a letter to Creative
Commons, 543 Howard Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, California, 94105,
USA.