The best platform and editor for Python

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 10:46:39 EDT 2007

Kay Schluehr wrote:
> On Jul 3, 8:12 pm, cla... at lairds.us (Cameron Laird) wrote:
>
> > Python is simply easier than C++; you might
> > well find that a debugger, for example, doesn't feel as essential
> > as it is for you with C++.
>
> That's what I love most about the Python community. Whenever there is
> just a non-standard, platform-dependent or crappy implementation of a
> feature you get told that you don't need it.

A fairly nice debugger is standard and built-in to the regular Python
distribution on all platforms.

But 95% of what a debugger is used for IME is getting a stack trace--
in Python (or Java or Ruby or most modern languages) you get that
automatically, and the debugger is nowhere near as useful as it is in
C or C++.