os.wait() losing child?

Jason Zheng Xin.Zheng at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 13 19:52:09 EDT 2007

Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
> Jason Zheng <Xin.Zheng at jpl.nasa.gov> writes:
>> I'm concerned about portability of my code. It will be run on
>> multiple machines with mixed Python 2.4 and 2.5 environments.
>
> I don't think there is a really clean way to handle this.

I think the following might just work, albeit not "clean":

#!/usr/bin/python

import os,subprocess
from subprocess import Popen

pids = {}
counts = [0,0,0]

def launch(i):
   p = Popen('sleep 1', shell=True, cwd='/home',
stdout=file(os.devnull,'w'))
   pids[p.pid] = p, i
   if p in subprocess._active:
     subprocess._active.remove(p)
   print "Starting child process %d (%d)" % (i,p.pid)

for i in xrange(3):
   launch(i)

while (True):
   pid, ignored = os.wait()
   try:
     p, i = pids[pid]
   except KeyError:
     # not one of ours
     continue
   del pids[pid]
   counts[i] += 1

   #terminate if count>10
   if (counts[i]==10):
     print "Child Process %d terminated." % i
     if reduce(lambda x,y: x and (y>=10), counts):
       break
     continue

   print "Child Process %d terminated, restarting" % i
   launch(i)