Using eggs or py2exe to distribute apps

schmir at gmail.com schmir at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 05:18:10 EDT 2007

On Jul 20, 5:39 am, Marcus <mcshutter... at dwx.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm to the stage where I need to deploy the app I built with wxPython.
> I've been able to successfully build it w/py2exe into a binary (about
> 10MB size in total).
>
> What I'd like to do is create an automatic updater, so that I can have
> users download updated versions of my *application code* without having
> to have them redownload everything (the interpreter, etc) via a complete
> redownload (I want to package some things as "components").
>
> Eggs seem like an ideal solution, but I haven't had any luck using them
> in conjunction with py2exe.

It should be possible. exclude your application code from being
packaged, copy an egg file to your disribution directory and add it to
sys.path.

> It would seem that the most effective solution would be to package a
> python interpreter (with wxPython, etc already included) into the
> distributed app's directory and not use py2exe at all; however, since
> everything would be included in the distribution, it would seem that the
> full python distro would be huge (50MB at least), which defeats the
> purpose of wanting to build the app into "components".
>
> Worst-case scenario would be to have them redownload the 10MB update
> each time, but that's less than ideal, since the audience for my program
> would have more frequent/less substantial updates over time, rather than
> big updates all at once.
>
> Any guidance or suggestions are very much appreciated.

You can try bbfreeze from http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/bbfreeze/
(of which I'm the author). It has support for egg files. If  you
package your application code as an egg, it will by default copy your
whole egg (either as a directory or zipped) to the distribution
folder.