Should I use Python for these programs?

CC crobc at BOGUS.sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 9 23:09:32 EDT 2007

Hi:

I have considerable C and assembly language experience.  However, these
are mostly on embedded microcontrollers since I moved away from PC
programming all the way back in 1988 :-O

I wish to accomplish a few PC programming tasks, and am considering to
learn Python:

1.  Develop a simple GUI program to run on Linux and Windows which can
send parameters and small blocks of data to an embedded microcontroller
device via RS-232 or USB.  Also display simple data (probably single
numbers) sent from the device.

Note, if it is USB, then the client will be implemented by me using FTDI
chips that appear to the PC as a serial port.

2.  Develop a simple vector drawing program that will allow one to
freehand draw a sketch composed of a few lines, or perhaps render text
in a vector form.  Then sample the lines with a certain (user
configurable) spacing, and use the mouse to move the sample points along
the lines to tweak the sample locations if desired.  Then output a file
of X,Y coordinates for the samples.

What is this crazy thing for?  It's to develop simple lasershow vector
frames.  I am also designing a DSP-based lasershow output device, so the
same capabilities of delivering a data payload over serial/USB to a
target device will be needed here as well.

I would prefer to be able to write a program that is cross-platform
between Linux and Windows.  I realize this might be especially
problematic with the serial comms.

I am also confused by the plethora of Python GUI extensions, though
Tkinter seems like a likely candidate.  I am uncertain if I will have
difficulty learning how to use this if I don't know Tcl/Tk.

Do you think Python is the right language for these projects?

Any input will be appreciated.

--
Christopher R. Carlen
crobc at bogus-remove-me.sbcglobal.net