xml yml and dependency hell

Stefan Behnel stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de
Tue Jul 10 14:33:36 EDT 2007

Rustom Mody wrote:
> yaml by its indent-orientation is quite pythonic.  In comparison xml
> is cumbersome and laborious.
>
> Strangely ruby supports yaml out of the box but python requires a
> third party package PyYAML.
>
> Now this may not seem like a big deal for us -- installing pyYAML
> takes all of one minute -- but it may not be so to others as I
> recently learned.
>
> I conducted a python training for a corporate in which I showed among
> other things that yaml is much neater than xml.  They agreed that it
> was neat but were reluctant to consider it because it adds dependency
> headaches at a later point with their customers.
>

> So is it likely that yaml will make it to the standard python library
> at some point??

That's up to the maintainers of PyYAML. If they want to get it in, there will
be ways to get there. If they do not want to - unlikely, unless someone else
takes up the work. But it's definitely easier if the authors decide to put it in.

Besides, why would you assume any dependency headaches? There's EasyInstall
and setuptools if you need them.

Stefan