PyRun_String using my module in a def

Stuart stuart.tett at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 22:18:51 EDT 2007

I've written my own python modules with the C API, called dlfl. I've
now embedded a python interpreter into my Qt application. I am able to
execute multiline/singleline blocks and it has no problems remembering
definitions from one execute to the next. The problem arises when i
try and use a dlfl method inside a def block. For example

def x( ): print faces(0)

faces is a method in dlfl. If I were to just type "print faces(0)" it
would execute fine. However, this way when I type "x()", it just says
"global name 'faces' is not defined"

If I define x without any of my dlfl methods it works fine:

def x():
	y = 2
	print y+2

x()
# 4

Here are the relevant parts of my code:

PyObject *main = PyImport_AddModule("__main__");
PyObject *dlfl = PyImport_AddModule("dlfl");
PyObject* main_dict = PyModule_GetDict( main );
PyObject* dlfl_dict = PyModule_GetDict( dlfl );

PyObject *rstring = PyRun_String( cmd, Py_file_input, main_dict,
dlfl_dict );

rstring returns NULL and then PyErr_Fetch( &object, &data,
&traceback ); gets the traceback string as I mentioned above.

Hopefully, there is just a simple solution. Thanks :)