New guy help with setup

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Thu Jul 12 18:07:02 EDT 2007

meg99 wrote:
> On Jul 12, 4:35 pm, Paul McNett <p... at ulmcnett.com> wrote:
>> meg99 wrote:
>>> My applogies - I did download and install 2.5.1
>> In that case, open up your command window (Start|Run "cmd" <enter>).
>>
>> Type 'python' at the c:\ prompt.
>>
>> Or, Start|All Programs|Python 2.5|IDLE

> I opened the command window and typed 'python'
> got 'not recognized as a command'

Add c:\python25 to your Windows system path.

> went to the python25 folder and typed 'python'
> got the >>> prompt

Good! Python is installed and working normally.

> typed './configure'
> got 'no Python documentation found for './configure'

You don't need to ./configure. That's for when you are going to compile
Python from source code into a binary, which you don't need to do
because you installed a precompiled binary for Windows.

--
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com