Where is the syntax for the dict() constructor ?!

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollans.com
Thu Jul 5 14:30:10 EDT 2007

On Thursday 05 July 2007, Captain Poutine wrote:
> Peter Otten wrote:
> > Neil Cerutti wrote:

> >> In addition to Chris's answer, the csv module can read and write
> >> dictionaries directly. Look up csv.DictReader and csv.DictWriter.
> >
> > DictReader gives one dict per row, with field names as keys. The OP is
> > more likely to want
> >
> > dict(csv.reader(open("some.csv", "rb")))
> >
> > which produces a dict that maps ZIP codes to time zones.
> >
> > Peter
>
> Thanks Peter, that basically works, even if I don't understand it.
>
> What does "rb" mean? (read binary?)
> Why are the keys turned into strings (they are not quoted in the .csv
> file)?

"rb" is read, in binary mode. On DOS and derivatives this prevents intentional
file corruption when reading. (for ASCII files, omitting the b might be
desirable...)

Think of csv.reader as a fancy variant of the following: (fancy in that it
supports things like non-comma separators and comma escaping)

def CSVReader(file):
  for line in file:
    yield line.split(',')

--
      Regards,                       Thomas Jollans
GPG key: 0xF421434B may be found on various keyservers, eg pgp.mit.edu
Hacker key <http://hackerkey.com/>:
v4sw6+8Yhw4/5ln3pr5Ock2ma2u7Lw2Nl7Di2e2t3/4TMb6HOPTen5/6g5OPa1XsMr9p-7/-6