ActivePython

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Jul 4 13:38:17 EDT 2007

Trent Mick wrote:
> Frank Swarbrick wrote:
[...]
> Steve Holden wrote:
>  > ...the last time I looked the ActivePython distribution
>  > doesn't allow redistribution at all (i.e. it's not technically open
>  > source).
>
> Steve is correct that ActivePython isn't open source. It is free (as in
> beer), meaning that it is completely free for you to download, install
> and use on as many machines as you want.

Indeed, and a jolly good system it is, too. Saves you loads of time
integrating things that are already fully integrated in ActivePython.

> As to redistribution: Yes, it is technically correct that you cannot
> fully redistribute ActivePython without our permission. However,
> ActivePython's license expressly *does* allow you to use the "freezing"
> utilities such as "py2exe" and "py2app" -- so you have no worries there.

That's going to account for most people's uses for application
distribution, I'd have thought, thanks for pointing that out.

>   For fully embedding Python in an application, in my experience [2]
> you'll want to be building your own Python anyway.

Yup.

[...]
 > [2] Komodo embeds its own Python build for doing a lot of the core
 > logic. A custom Python build is generally necessary to avoid
 > cross-talking between Komodo's Python and other possible Pythons
 > on the system.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119