PEP 3107 and stronger typing (note: probably a newbie question)

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Fri Jul 13 02:37:00 EDT 2007

"Donn Cave" <donn at u...ton.edu> wrote:

>In its day, goto was of course very well loved.

Does anybody know for sure if it is in fact possible to
design a language completely free from conditional jumps?

At the lower level, I don't think you can get away with
conditional calls - hence the "jumps with dark glasses",
continue and break.

I don't think you can get that functionality in another way.

Think of solving the problem of reading a text file to find
the first occurrence of some given string - can it be done
without either break or continue?  (given that you have to
stop when you have found it)

 I can't think of a way, even in assembler, to do this without
using a conditional jump - but maybe my experience has
poisoned my mind, as I see the humble if statement as a plethora
of local jumps...

- Hendrik