How do I 'stat' online files?

DB Daniel Brown dtbrown at ag.com
Tue Jul 24 09:07:49 EDT 2007

I am working on a program that needs to stat files (gif, swf, xml, dirs,
etc) from the web. I know how to stat a local file...

import os
tplStat = os.stat(path)

but I can't figure out how to stat a file that resides on a web server.
I am not sure if it makes a difference, but most (maybe all) of the
files that I need to stat reside within the same domain that will
generate the request. I am able to open the file by using

import urllib

f = urllib.urlopen(url)

but for some reason I cannot stat the files. Any help will greatly be
appreciated. Thanks!