Interpreting os.lstat()

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Sat Jul 21 14:32:38 EDT 2007

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=  <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> But it obviously does a lot of other stuff, including formatting
>> the results of the system call for display.
>It most decisively does *not* format the results of the system call
>"for display".

"It" here refers to the program stat, which on most systems I use
is in /usr/bin/stat and most assuredly *does* format the results of
the system call for display.

> I think it is important
>to understand that Python does *not* do any significant code
>to os.stat and os.lstat;

Absolutely, which is why I consider it foolish for the OP to be
trying to deduce the meaning of os.stat by looking at the output
of the stat program, rather than studying the man page for the
stat system call.

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
        -- Arthur C. Clarke