connecting to serial port + python

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Fri Jul 6 13:10:41 EDT 2007

In article <1183467711.963266.137590 at m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
Japan Shah  <shahjapan at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am trying to connect my Nokia 6610 using usb cable,
>I have installed usb-serial driver of it.
>

>I hv tested it with Hyperterminal and it works fine.
>
>but when I wrote a python script I am not able to receive the responce
>from the device.
			.
			.
			.
It's quite likely that you do NOT want to regard this as
a "serial port" device as commonly understood.  It's even
more likely that you're going to be very happy once you
start reading about gammu <URL: http://www.gammu.org/ >,
an open-source project (or collection of open-source pro-
jects) focussed on mobile telephony handset devices,
especially those from Nokia.

Gammu works particularly well with the 6610 and closely-
related handsets, in my experience; I've been using it so
for a couple of years.

What's your preferred (desktop) operating system?  Which
cable did you buy?  Is it compatible with one made at the
Nokia factories?  Not all USB cables are alike ...