Can a low-level programmer learn OOP?

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Fri Jul 13 12:34:23 EDT 2007

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:06:44 -0700, Chris Carlen wrote:

> Perhaps the only thing that may have clicked regarding OOP is that in
> certain cases I might prefer a higher-level approach to tasks which
> involve dynamic memory allocation.  If I don't need the execution
> efficiency of C, then OOP might produce working results faster by not
> having to worry about the details of memory management, pointers, etc.

That's not something tied to OOP.  Automatic memory management is also
possible with procedural languages.

> But I wonder if the OOP programmers spend as much time creating classes
> and trying to organize everything into the OOP paradigm as the C
> programmer spends just writing the code?

Creating classes and organizing the program in an OOP language isn't
different from creating structs and organizing the program in C.

On one side Python is a very OOP language as everything is an object.  On
the other side it is possible to write parts of the program in procedural
or even functional style.  Python is not Java, you don't have to force
everything into classes.

>From my experience Python makes it easy to "just write the code".  Easier
than C because I don't have to deal with so much machine details, don't
have to manage memory, don't need extra indexes for looping over lists and
so on.  And the "crashes" are much gentler, telling me what the error is
and where instead of a simple "segfault" or totally messed up results.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch