Crunchy 0.8 release

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Jan 28 04:51:07 EST 2007

André wrote:
> Version 0.8 of Crunchy has been released.  It is available on
> http://code.google.com/p/crunchy/
>
> Crunchy, the Interactive Python Tutorial Maker, is an application that
> transforms an ordinary html-based Python tutorial into an interactive
> session within a web browser.  Currently, only Firefox is supported.
> Crunchy is developed and tested on Windows XP and Ubuntu Dapper Drake,
> but should work on any suitable windows or UNIX system.
>
> Three major improvements have been made since version 0.7 had been
> released.
>
> 1. New editor
>
> Instead of a simple html textarea, Crunchy now gives the option of
> using a "real" editor, namely EditArea
> (http://www.cdolivet.net/editarea/).  EditArea support syntax coloring
> and allows loading and saving local Python files among other features.
>  Within Crunchy, it is set up so that the tab key is translated into 4
> spaces.
>
> 2. Language support
>
> Crunchy now supports English and French, through the use of ".po"
> files.  When running Python code, some error messages have been
> adapted/translated.  EditArea itself support more languages
> (currently: Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese,
> Polish, Portuguese).
>
> 3. Graphical tutorial converter.
>
> Crunchy uses some supplementary markup to transform html files into
> interactive tutorials.  Whereas previous versions required a tutorial
> maker to edit an html file "by hand", version 0.8 includes a tutorial
> editor: with a few clicks, you can easily add to an html file the
> chosen interactive elements and options for Crunchy.
>
> In addition to the above major improvements, the code has been
> refactored significantly and a number of small bug fixes have been
> made.  Crunchy will be demonstrated at the upcoming Pycon 2007.
>
> André Roberge and Johannes Woolard.

Very nice indeed, and a significant advance over 0.7 - I'll be trying to
write Crunchy presentations myself (though possibly not as soon as PyCon).

I found it a little strange that the top-level directory in the
distribution is called "andre" rather than "crunchy", but that's a very
minor point.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden