Parallel Python

Parallel Python The team parallelpython at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 22:12:42 EST 2007

On 1/8/07, Laszlo Nagy <gandalf at designaproduct.biz> wrote:

> I always thought that if you use multiple processes (e.g. os.fork) then
> Python can take advantage of multiple processors. I think the GIL locks
> one processor only. The problem is that one interpreted can be run on
> one processor only. Am I not right? Is your ppm module runs the same
> interpreter on multiple processors? That would be very interesting, and
> something new.
>

> Or does it start multiple interpreters? Another way to do this is to
> start multiple processes and let them communicate through IPC or a local
> network.
>

>   Laszlo
>
> You are right. ppsmp start multiple interpreters in separate processes and
organize communication between them through IPC.

So far ppsmp features load balancing (distributes workload evenly between
worker processes.) and low overhead (example
http://www.parallelpython.com/content/view/17/31/#REVERSE_MD5 submits a 100
jobs to the system with no noticeable overhead).
Of coerce there is always room for growth and I am considering adding new
features/functionality.
Do you have any functionality in mind which you want to see in this system?

Best regards,
Vitalii