MP3 decoder module?

Paul Rubin http
Fri Jan 12 18:53:33 EST 2007

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:
> Basically I want to write a program that takes an mp3 audio file and
> finds the silent frames, with the idea of chopping the file into
> segments at those points automatically, or compressing the silences
> out of spoken audio to make it play faster without chipmunking up the
> pitch, etc.  Of course if you know of something that does this stuff
> already, that can help too.

I should add: I prefer not to expand the entire file to WAV and crunch
on that.  This is partly because I want to look for silences in
specific places in the mp3 without having to decode the whole file,
partly because I still need to know where the original mp3 frames are
in the file.  For the actual files I want to crunch, I don't need to
handle VBR, but it would be nice to support it just from the point of
view of doing things right.