Executing Javascript, then reading value

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Tue Jan 30 14:57:31 EST 2007

Melih Onvural wrote:
> Thanks, let me check out this route, and then I'll post the results.
>
> Melih Onvural
>
> On Jan 29, 4:04 pm, Jean-Paul Calderone <exar... at divmod.com> wrote:
>
>> On 29 Jan 2007 12:44:07 -0800, Melih Onvural <melih.onvu... at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I need to execute some javascript and then read the value as part of a
>>> program that I am writing. I am currently doing something like
>>> this:Python doesn't include a JavaScript runtime.  You might look into
>>> the
>>
>> stand-alone Spidermonkey runtime.  However, it lacks the DOM APIs, so it
>> may not be able to run the JavaScript you are interested in running. There
>> are a couple other JavaScript runtimes available, at least.  If
>> Spidermonkey is not suitable, you might look into one of them.

    This is getting to be a common problem.  One used to be able to
look at web pages from a program by reading the HTML.  Now you need to
load the page into a browser-like environment, run at least the
OnLoad JavaScript, and then start looking at the document object module.
This requires a browser emulator, a browser without a renderer.
Useful for spam filters and such.

     It's not clear if the original poster needs that much capability,
though.

				John Nagle