Is it possible to fasten the import of cgi?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Jan 19 03:40:05 EST 2007

Cecil Westerhof <dummy at dummy.nl> wrote:

>I have a cgi-script dat uses the modules cgi, os, sys and time. Offcourse I
>can not time the time used to import time, but os and sys do not take more
>as a millisecond. My script itself takes 3 or 4 milliseconds. But importing
>cgi takes 95 milliseconds. (This is on my test system a PII 300 MHz. Is
>there a way to make this more fast? The import off cgi makes the script at
>least 20 times as slow. Something like mod-python is not a possibility. I
>could use it on my test machine, but not at the osting provider.

Realistically, do you plan to support more than a few dozen requests per
minute?  If not, then it doesn't matter at all.  The script launch overhead
is an insignificant part of the user's browser experience.

If you do expect a hundred requests per minute, then CGI is not an
appropriate choice.  You either need to switch to a one of the web
frameworks (like CherryPy or Django or WebWare or one of the hundreds of
others), or <gack> move to PHP.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.