How to invoke parent's method?

rweth rweth at cisco.com
Sun Jan 7 04:00:06 EST 2007

rweth wrote:
> many_years_after wrote:
>> Hi, pythoners:
>>
>>      My wxPython program includes  a panel whose parent is a frame. The
>> panel has a button. When I click the button , I want to let the frame
>> destroy. How to implement it? Could the panel invoke the frame's
>> method?
>> Thanks.
>>
> I think it "could" if what I read recently in:
>    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.2/descrintro/#cooperation
> Is applicable.
>
>    Look at the link "Cooperative methods and super"
>    Write a subclass of panel where the target method of it's parent
>    is targX (that parent method of Frame that you want to call)
>
>      class myPanel (Panel):
>        def dadsX (self):
>           Frame.targX(self)
>

>     I think you are forced to invoke this within a method of the Class
>     itself, as opposed to doing so with an instance.
>
> Good luck!

You know I just tried a code fragment and got the parent method to work
with an instance .. so maybe you don't have to subclass. Here is a
transcript illustrating the idea:

 >>> class DAD:
...   def methodx(self):
...     print "DAD-methodx"
 >>> class SON(DAD):
...   def methodx(self):
...     print "SON-methodx"

 >>> billy = SON()
 >>> billy.methodx()
SON-methodx
 >>> DAD.methodx(billy)
DAD-methodx

So you can invoke the DAD.methodx via the billy instance of the object
.. without subclassing. Now I wonder if this will actually work?