smtplib starttls gmail example

py py at th.on
Tue Jan 23 18:48:59 EST 2007

Hi, Jean Paul.

I read your code with interest. I wonder, does twisted also raise the socket error or does it know
about this apparently well-known and often ignored incompatibility between the standard and
the implementations?

Something else has occurred to me. After starting tls, all the xmitted commands and data are encrypted before they leave the client machine.
so obviously they have to be decrypted by the server's socket lib before the smtp daemon can do what it's supposed to do.
but i wonder if the encryption of the trailing \n.\n has something to do with the socket error, given that
the error msg says something about premature EOF.

-dave