The reliability of python threads

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Jan 25 19:31:48 EST 2007

    Paul> I dunno about Nick, I'm saying it's best to assume that it's
    Paul> Poisson and do whatever is necessary to diagnose and fix the bug,
    Paul> and that the voodoo measure you're proposing is not all that
    Paul> likely to help and it will take years to find out whether it helps
    Paul> or not (i.e. restarting after 3 months and going another 3 months
    Paul> without a failure proves nothing).

What makes you think Paddy indicated he wouldn't try to solve the problem?
Here's what he wrote:

    What I'm proposing is that if, for example, a process stops running
    three times in a year at roughly three to four months intervals , and it
    should have stayed up; then restart the server sooner, at aa time of
    your choosing, whilst taking other measures to investicate the error.

I see nothing wrong with trying to minimize the chances of a problem rearing
its ugly head while at the same time trying to investigate its cause (and
presumably solve it).

Skip