Rational Numbers

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 12 14:41:52 EST 2007

In article <mailman.2664.1168630485.32031.python-list at python.org>,
"Simon Brunning" <simon at brunningonline.net> writes:

|> > That is dubious, but let's not start that one again.
|>
|> Decimals are good for holding financial values. There's a whole lot of
|> software out there that deals with money.

Sigh.  I was hoping not to have that myth perpetrated again.

Financial calculations need decimal FIXED-point, with a precisely
specified precision.  It is claimed that decimal FLOATING-point
helps with providing that, but that claim is extremely dubious.
I can explain the problem in as much detail as you want, but would
very much rather not.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.