memory leak

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Jan 28 20:03:46 EST 2007

At Wednesday 24/1/2007 22:06, john g wrote:

>i have a memory leak issue with extension function that im working
>on. it reads data from a binary file into a stl vector then creates
>a new list to pass back to the python interface. the function works
>the first 1021 times but then gives a segmentation fault (core
>dumped). heres the business part of the code:
>

>//read data
>     vector<float> data;
>     float temp;
>

>     for(int x=0;x<np*2;x++)
>     {
>         fread(&temp,sizeof(float),1,datfil);
>         data.push_back(temp);
>     }
>

>     //convert vector to list
>     PyObject *newlist = PyList_New(np*2);
>     PyList_SetItem(newlist, 0,PyFloat_FromDouble(data[0]));
>     for(int x=0;x<np*2;x++)
>     {
>         PyList_SetItem(newlist, x,PyFloat_FromDouble(data[x]));
>     }
>

>     //send back list
>     return newlist;

You have to check for possible errors. And you don't need to build
the C++ vector, just use PyList_SET_ITEM on each value as you read
it. (_SET_ITEM because it's a new, empty, list). This is how I'd do
that (untested):

    float temp;
     PyObject *newlist;

     newlist = PyList_New(np*2);
     if (newlist == NULL)
         return NULL;
     for(int x=0;x<np*2;x++)
     {
         fread(&temp,sizeof(float),1,datfil);
         // fread could fail, you should do some error handling here,
search the python
         // sources for examples; possibly setting an exception and "goto err"
         PyList_SET_ITEM(newlist, x, PyFloat_FromDouble(temp));
     }
     if (PyErr_Occurred()) {
         goto err;
     }