Why does Python never add itself to the Windows path?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jan 3 10:40:53 EST 2007

Ben Sizer schrieb:
> Firstly, that solution only works for actual Python scripts; it doesn't
> solve the utility scripts that are often installed to the /scripts
> directory.

Those packages should install .bat files into /scripts on Windows.

> It's a shame that many responses on this thread don't
> address that half of the issue. Am I the only person who installs
> packages that add scripts (not all of which are Python ones)?

Perhaps not. However, people apparently disagree what the "full issue"
is. If you have non-Python scripts (eg. VBScript) in /scripts, how will
having python.exe on PATH help at all?

>> Unfortunately the Python installer is not an InnoSetup installer.
>
> The page I linked to is a bit misleading but there is an executable on
> that page. All you then have to do is invoke it with the relevant
> parameter.

Please submit a patch that does so, then. Make sure you add user
interface to make it an option.

These things are *not* easy, and claiming that they are is
misleading.

Regards,
Martin