dot operations

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Thu Jan 11 11:21:32 EST 2007

On Thursday, Jan 11th 2007 at 11:41 +0100, quoth robert:

=>jm.suresh at no.spam.gmail.com wrote:
=>> Hi,
=>>  Frequently I get to do like this:
=>> a = (1, 2, 3, 4) # some dummy values
=>> b = (4, 3, 2, 1)
=>> import operator
=>> c = map(operator.add, a, b)
=>>
=>> I am finding the last line not very readable especially when I combine
=>> couple of such operations into one line. Is it possible to overload
=>> operators, so that, I can use .+ for element wise addition, as,
=>> c = a .+ b
=>> which is much more readable.
=>>
=>> Similarly, I want to use .- , .*, ./   . Is it possible to do?
=>
=>import numpy
=>
=>You'll not even need dots

I'm very new so my plea to be gentle is still on.

I just looked at the numpy package. Seems very cool, but for the life of
me I didn't understand the method by which python allows for creation of
infix operators. Can someone please explain or point me to a reference?

TIA

steveo at syslang.net