Writing more efficient code

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Jan 1 20:01:18 EST 2007

Jon Harrop:
> I think most people could pick up the core ideas in a day and start writing
> working programs.

Probably I am not that intelligent, I probably need some months :-) But
that language has many good sides, and one day I'll probably try to
learn it a bit.

> Mathematica is expensive but learning to use pattern matching is much easier
> than learning how to write a pattern matcher and much less tedious than
> reimplementing it yourself all the time (which is exactly what the OP will
> end up doing).

I see. This is a very old post of mine, at the bottom there are few
notes about the Mathematica pattern matching syntax:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/93ce3e9a08f5e4c7

To avoid reimplementing it yourself all the time then maybe someone
(you?) can try to write a good pattern matcher for sequences for
CPython. With such system it may become less important to switch to a
different language ;-)

Bye,
bearophile