Parallel Python

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Jan 12 07:13:33 EST 2007

robert wrote:
> Paul Boddie wrote:
> >
> > [1] http://www.python.org/pypi/parallel
>
> I'd be interested in an overview.

I think we've briefly discussed the above solution before, and I don't
think you're too enthusiastic about anything using interprocess
communication, which is what the above solution uses. Moreover, it's
intended as a threading replacement for SMP/multicore architectures
where one actually gets parallel execution (since it uses processes).

> For ease of use a major criterion for me would be a pure python
> solution, which also does the job of starting and controlling the
> other process(es) automatically right (by default) on common
> platforms.
> Which of the existing (RPC) solutions are that nice?

Many people have nice things to say about Pyro, and there seem to be
various modules attempting parallel processing, or at least some kind
of job control, using that technology. See Konrad Hinsen's
ScientificPython solution for an example of this - I'm sure I've seen
others, too.

Paul